Sunday, January 15, 2012

Being Broken Blows

Okay, so I'm not really broken, but it sure feels it sometimes. I have arthritis in my sacroiliac joint, right hip, and left clavicle. I've had this disease since I was 20-ish years old. I am just barely starting to get treatment for it. I have been put on multiple different kinds of medications, which is very much common for someone with arthritis. I have been put on indomethicin (gave me horrible stomach pains), naproxen (only helped my SI joint and hip but not my clavicle) and now I am on Celebrex. So far, it's not too amazing. I don't have any side effects, but it's not taking care of the pain like it should. I am debating calling my Rheumatologist tomorrow and letting her know that it's not quite working and see if there is some other medication she can prescribe me over the phone. I have an appointment in February for a follow up on the Celebrex, but I don't know if I should wait this long or not.

I guess here is my problem: it's winter, 10 degrees out, and I'm lazy. I don't know if I am in pain because the medication isn't working or because I sit on my rump all day. My husband just bought me an official yoga mat (before I bought this one dollar foam pad which was, well, cheap!) so I am trying to keep up with doing yoga. It's just hard coming home to a cold house after work and just wanting to be wrapped up in a warm blanket to watch some TV. So what should I do? Is the pain never going to be fully gone? Or is the medication supposed to make it like I never had arthritis to begin with? People I talk to that have arthritis talk about their medication like it's a god send. A miracle that they would never ever be able to live without. Are they also sitting on their butts all day or do they keep themselves very very active? I really wish I had someone close I could talk to about this kind of thing. Everyone I know who has arthritis (i.e. my manager's husband, my dentist's husband) isn't exactly close enough to me for me to ask nitty gritty details. It's frustrating feeling like I have to figure this whole disease out on my own. Goodness, I hate the word disease! I feel like it makes me sound like I'm going to die a tragic, painful death! I guess I'm not really going to be able to catch a break with this one. Lost and broken... not exactly what I wanted to be when I grew up.

No comments:

Post a Comment