Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Public Wedding Proposals - What's the big deal?

I don't know if I've just been under a rock or what, but since when has it been such an agreed upon opinion that public wedding proposals are the worst way to start a marriage? What's with critical judgement as of late? It's everywhere!! They (meaning people commenting on news articles and Goggle+) seem to think that it puts more pressure on the woman to say yes. I say, if the woman can't say no when she doesn't want to get married, it's her own damn fault for not standing up for herself. I saw a video on Yahoo! the other day of a man proposing to his girlfriend in front of an entire stadium full of basketball fans. She said no and walked away. In fact, I think she ran. What's wrong with that!? Commenters mentioned how embarrassing it was for her. I would say that if it were me saying no, I personally would not feel embarrassed. I would feel embarrassed for the man expressing his love for me when I apparently didn't feel the same way, but not for standing up for myself.

I grew up watching the typical 90's sitcoms and after school specials. All throughout the media, women were declaring that they preferred a public proposal so that every one would be able to witness their love. I would thinks about what my idea of the perfect proposal would be. For me, a private proposal was ideal not because of the extra pressure or embarrassment it presented, but because I don't like a lot of attention shined on me. My perfect proposal did not happen, nor does it usually happen, but it was fine. I would have wanted to be at the beach during sunset/rise for my boyfriend to pop the question. Sounds romantic doesn't it!

Well, here is how it really happened: it was February 13th. My boyfriend had already graduated college, so he was back home living with his parents. He had come to visit for Valentines day and our 3 year anniversary. It was close to 10:30 or 11:00 at night. I was tired from spending the entire night studying for an exam I had the following day. I became tired and decided that I had to go to bed. I was finished with studying and determined that if I didn't know the material by then, I was never going to know it. My boyfriend and I squeezed into my closet size room and got ready for bed. While changing into my pajamas, I turned around to see my boyfriend down on one knee. I almost rolled my eyes and giggled a little because he joked around like that all the time. Then I saw the ring we both spotted at the jewelry store several months ago. The only difference is that he had put a bigger diamond in it. He was all shaky and asked me to marry him. I started jumping up and down and allowed him to put the ring on my finger. We hugged and then he said: "you didn't answer". That's when the eye roll occurred. I told him I would and then we stayed up all night snuggling and talking. Surprisingly, I had gotten every question correct on that test I was studying for and we've been happily married for 2 years (3 years on June 13th)!

I don't think men should completely stray from public proposals by any means. I just say that they need to read their women, discover whether she prefers the attention or not. Maybe that is whats wrong with some of the relationships in the world today. People don't communicate enough, people don't pay enough attention to the little details and their relationships suffer for it. The increased divorce rate is proof that something is going wrong. However, that is a whole other conversation for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment