Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Little Double Tap... and a Sad Story

I ended up calling my doctor about my medication. Apparently, this is the strongest drugs they have until they resort to what they called "disease altering drugs", which kind of made me cringe. I'm not sure what they mean by "disease altering drugs" but they mentioned that the drugs require more monitoring. This means more doctor visits, more tests, more money leaving my bank account. For now, they double my dosage, which is common and I've been doing pretty well. I am also trying to do at least a little bit of yoga each day as well and possibly thinking about investing in a treadmill. We just don't make it part of our schedule to go to the gym. Our gym is a wonderful gym and our other family members are jealous that they can not be members, but they also get to spend more time at home than we usually do. My husband and I enjoy our home very much and with our busy schedules, we just don't get to spend a lot of time there. So, it's not official yet, but we are considering cancelling our membership.

In other news, I must share the story of this wonderful girl named Amelia. I saw her story while perusing the Yahoo! news article slideshow they have on their front page. The little girl is "mentally retarded" with a disease called Wolf-Hirschhorn Syndrome. Now I do not know much about this syndrome but it turns out that she is in need of a kidney transplant and the hospital she visits, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, refuses to perform the transplant due to her disability. Please, do this little girl a favor and read her story. She seems wonderful and deserves to have a future. You may read a little story about her here and here. As promised, I will continue to share her story and keep Amelia and her family in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment